Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Lesson Plan

Basic Information
My lesson plan is designed for high-level, middle school students in the 3rd Grade (16 years old).  I made this lesson plan as part of both my work for this class and Douglas' reading class. 


This lesson was taught in 3 x 45 minute periods.  This class was an extra class therefore the students were high level only and the groups had no more than ten students in each.


Lesson Goals 
My goal was to encourage an oppositional reading from students through removing elements that may lead them to come to a particular or desired conclusion.  As the received reading is not clear, students had to work to create their own answers.  I also wanted to encourage them to reflect on how they imagined the story as they did and understand how they may interpret things differently based on their own experiences and identities. 


I did not focus on any language function or structure.  However, I was trying to encourage my students to use top-down reading strategies with the final passage, therefore I limited the use of dictionaries and gave them a time limit for completing the reading.   


Lesson Plan and Activities
The students were initially given a short extract from a story (handout 1). In the extract, all names and personal pronouns were removed so that students weren’t given any information about the characters.

They were required to read the extract in pairs and then write a description of the four characters (W, X, Y and Z) including age, gender, race and job (handout 3), as well as answering four questions (handout 2).   They were reminded that this was not a creative writing exercise and to answer the questions based on the initial thoughts they had when reading the extract.  As they were working in pairs the studens had to justify their answers to each other and come up with the one that they thought the most likely and give reasons as to why. 

Students then presented their ideas to the rest of the group, giving reasons for their choices and compared similarities and differences. 

Once they had given their ideas about the story, students read the real story from which the extract was taken (handout 4-6). Then students answered the four questions again using the real story and compared these to their own answers. 
Students then compared their answers to the real story and took part in a discussion as to why their answers were so similar/different (all the students’ answers were different to the story when I did this in my classes).

Once they knew the characters they completed the character chart again (race, gender, age, job) and then were given the real pictures (handout 7). Again they discussed the reasons for their answers and surprise (or, in some cases, lack of) at the real character pictures. 

Reflections
There were times when the students struggled to express what they meant due to a limited language ability, which (as they told me) was both frustrating and difficult for them. However, their ideas were interesting and perceptive and their reflections at every stage were both insightful and thoughtful.
. 

6 comments:

  1. Can someone help me! I don't know how to attach the handouts. They're just word documents, I'm sure its very simple but I'm not that good at these kind of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's a bit of a trick to it. you have to go to another website that allows you to upload your documents. then they give you an embedded code. then you go to your blog an insert the code. here's a explanation http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/blogger/thread?tid=1b01952c64ce11a3&hl=en
    and here's the website where you should be able to upload your documents: http://www.docstoc.com/upload/

    worst case scenario just e-mail the documents to me and i'll figure something out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I didn’t know how to upload the word file either so… I just uploaded my lesson plan on the web site like the usual way. (It doesn’t look great but I did… )

    Here is my comment for you, Catherine :) 
    Actually, I used the same idea of having Ss write down their initial opinions and then compare them later to see if there were similar or different. In my opinion, having Ss compare answers is a powerful tool to let the Ss see how their thought or beliefs have changed. Removing any preconceived conclusions is a good strategy to have Ss use their own experiences to come to their own conclusions. As we all know sometime Ss want to say what they think the teacher wants to hear. I am curious about the reading and the questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lesson idea sounded very creative and interesting when I heard from you last class. I think I can also use this lesson with much easiar reading for my beginner students. Since my students are all adults, I may use news aricles rather than chidren's story. Through this kind of lesson, I may be able to see my students' own thoughts and beliefs and it would help me understand them and have a better relationship. Thanks for your lesson idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments, guys. I really liked your lesson plans, too and will certainly be trying to adapt them for my students as soon as I can.

    Curtis, I'm still struggling with uploading the documents so I will give you a paper copy and then try and figure something else out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your lesson plan has no limit and no registration for SS, and I like that point.
    Ss can think very creative and very critical.
    and I also want to see your reading materials,
    too ^^

    ReplyDelete